qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] accel: add cpu_reset

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [RFC] accel: add cpu_reset
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 14:45:07 +0100

On 22/03/21 14:35, Claudio Fontana wrote:
On 3/22/21 2:31 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 22/03/21 14:27, Claudio Fontana wrote:
This surprisingly works without moving cpu_reset() to a specific_ss
module, even though accel-common.c is specific_ss, hw/core/cpu.c is
common_ss. How come the call to accel_reset_cpu works?

I don't understand the question.  Why wouldn't it work? :)

Paolo

Heh probably something I forgot or do not understand around the specific_ss /
common_ss distinction.

I was under the (wrong?) impression that we build some tools or components that
include common_ss objects, but not specific_ss.

And maybe I am just wrong, and things are simpler than I expected.

No, all emulators include:

- some parts of common_ss, compiled once per build. These are files that do not use target-specific definitions. Other sourcesets also define once-per-build files, and in fact they end up in common_ss via the add_all method of sourcesets; softmmu_ss, for example is added to common_ss under the CONFIG_SOFTMMU condition.

- some parts of specific_ss, compiled once per target because these files use target-specific definitions.

- the entirety of the respective hw/ and target/ sourcesets.

It is possible to include calls from one sourceset to another (including from common to specific) as long as the conditions ensure that the symbol is defined.

Paolo