qemu-devel

Re: Some more questions with regards to QEMU clock record and replay

From: Pavel Dovgalyuk
Subject: Re: Some more questions with regards to QEMU clock record and replay
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 10:19:53 +0300

On 01.03.2021 20:16, Arnabjyoti Kalita wrote:
Hello all,

I am really thankful for the wonderful answers in my last post linked below-

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-discuss/2021-02/msg00131.html

In continuation with the last post, I have a few more questions to ask -

My experiment is still, mostly the same. I record clock values in KVM mode, and then replay the clock values in TCG mode. However, now I am recording and replaying all of the clock values (I was only recording/replaying the host clock previously). However, I do not use the -icount feature.

- Why are clock values being replayed at checkpoints?

Timers are replayed at checkpoints to be synchronized with vCPU.
Other clock requests (e.g., caused by vCPU instruction) are replayed immediately.

- Can we ignore replaying at checkpoints and do a dumb replay as and when the clock read actually happens?

I think we can, if we need just clock synchronization.

- Based on the documentation available, I can see that checkpoints are necessary for thread synchronization. Does this mean, if I do not replay clock values at checkpoints, the guest kernel scheduler might behave incorrectly during replay ?

Checkpoints are related to QEMU threads, not guest threads.
Timers are needed for virtual devices, that can generate interrupts, DMA requests and so on. Therefore we synchronize them with vCPU to make execution deterministic.

Pavel Dovgalyuk