qemu-devel

Some more questions with regards to QEMU clock record and replay

From: Arnabjyoti Kalita
Subject: Some more questions with regards to QEMU clock record and replay
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 22:46:47 +0530

Hello all,

I am really thankful for the wonderful answers in my last post linked below-

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-discuss/2021-02/msg00131.html

In continuation with the last post, I have a few more questions to ask -

My experiment is still, mostly the same. I record clock values in KVM mode, and then replay the clock values in TCG mode. However, now I am recording and replaying all of the clock values (I was only recording/replaying the host clock previously). However, I do not use the -icount feature.

- Why are clock values being replayed at checkpoints?
- Can we ignore replaying at checkpoints and do a dumb replay as and when the clock read actually happens?
- Based on the documentation available, I can see that checkpoints are necessary for thread synchronization. Does this mean, if I do not replay clock values at checkpoints, the guest kernel scheduler might behave incorrectly during replay ?

Thank you very much, again.

Best Regards,
Arnab