qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] Using gitlab for upstream qemu repo?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [RFC] Using gitlab for upstream qemu repo?
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 09:37:52 +0200

  Hi,

> For clarification, I'm assuming the set of committers is rather small,
> and not the same as the set of subsystem maintainers who send pull
> requests for a committer to then merge in.

Yes.

> Does this proposal mean that
> pull requests would have to switch to gitlab merge requests,

I mirror my stuff to gitlab/github anyway, for CI coverage.  Increases
the chance that errors are catched by CI not Peter.  With that already
in place the step to do a gitlab pull req is pretty small.

Nevertheless that is a separate discussion.
Can gitlab properly handle signed tags btw?

> > Of course this is just starting a discussion, so I'm not even proposing
> > a date for the switch.
>
> I'm hoping that as part of the consideration that we make sure that
> command line tooling can still drive everything; there is a difference
> between requiring a web page to initiate a merge request, vs. proper
> command line tooling one to leave the web page as an optional part of
> the workflow for only those who want it.

Gitlab has a JSON API, scripts/ci/gitlab-pipeline-status uses that for
example.  I'm pretty sure there are gitlab cli tools using that API ...

take care,
  Gerd