qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] Using gitlab for upstream qemu repo?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [RFC] Using gitlab for upstream qemu repo?
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 12:24:28 -0500

On 10/22/20 11:47 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> now that Gitlab is the primary CI infrastructure for QEMU, and that all
> QEMU git repositories (including mirrors) are available on Gitlab, I
> would like to propose that committers use Gitlab when merging commits to
> QEMU repositories.
>

> Nothing would change for developers, who would still have access to all
> three sets of repositories (git.qemu.org, gitlab.com and github.com).
> Committers however would need to have an account on the
> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project organization with access to the
> repositories they care about.  They would also lose write access to
> /srv/git on qemu.org.

For clarification, I'm assuming the set of committers is rather small,
and not the same as the set of subsystem maintainers who send pull
requests for a committer to then merge in.  Does this proposal mean that
pull requests would have to switch to gitlab merge requests, or would
there be a transition period where submaintainers still send pull
requests via whichever means desired (mail or gitlab merge request), but
the eventual committer repackages that as a gitlab merge request before
it is upstream?

> Of course this is just starting a discussion, so I'm not even proposing
> a date for the switch.

I'm hoping that as part of the consideration that we make sure that
command line tooling can still drive everything; there is a difference
between requiring a web page to initiate a merge request, vs. proper
command line tooling one to leave the web page as an optional part of
the workflow for only those who want it.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226