qemu-devel

Re: Kernel patch cases qemu live migration failed.

From: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: Kernel patch cases qemu live migration failed.
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 17:23:11 +0200

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 03:58:40PM +0100, Dave Martin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 03:18:11PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:

> > > Table D12-2 confirms the register should be RAZ, as it says the register
> > > is "RO, but RAZ if SVE is not implemented". Does "RO" imply "WI", though?
> > > For the guest we inject an exception on writes, and for userspace we
> > > require the value to be preserved on write.
> >
> > Sorry, I mis-spoke. They're RAZ, but not WI, just RO (which is to say
> > they'll UNDEF if you try to write to them).
> >
> > > I think we should follow the spec, even for userspace access, and be RAZ
> > > for when the feature isn't implemented. As for writes, assuming the
> > > exception injection is what we want for the guest (not WI), then that's
> > > correct. For userspace, I think we should continue forcing preservation
> > > (which will force preservation of zero when it's RAZ).
> >
> > Yes, that sounds right.
>
> [...]
>
> Define "previously", though.  IIUC, the full enumeration was added in
> v4.15 (with ID_AA64ZFR0_EL1 still not supported at all):
>
> v4.15-rc1~110^2~27
> 93390c0a1b20 ("arm64: KVM: Hide unsupported AArch64 CPU features from guests")
>

> And then ID_AA64FZR0_EL1 was removed from the enumeration, also in
> v4.15:
>
> v4.15-rc1~110^2~5
> 07d79fe7c223 ("arm64/sve: KVM: Hide SVE from CPU features exposed to guests")
>

> So, are there really two upstram kernel tags that are mismatched on
> this, or is this just a bisectability issue in v4.14..v4.15?
>
> It's a while since I looked at this, and I may have misunderstood the
> timeline.

> OK, I think I see where you are coming from, now.
>
> It may make sense to get rid of the REG_HIDDEN_GUEST / REG_HIDDEN_USER
> distinction, and provide the same visibility for userspace as for MSR/
> MRS all the time.  This would restore ID_AA64ZFR0_EL1 into the userspace
> view, and may also allow a bit of simplification in the code.
>
> Won't this will still break migration from the resulting kernel to a
> current kernel that hides ID_AA64ZFR0_EL1?  Or have I misunderstood
> something.

Yes, but, while neither direction old -> new nor new -> old is actually
something that people should do when using host cpu passthrough (they
should only ever migrate between identical hosts, both hardware and
host kernel version), migrating from old -> new makes more sense, as
that's the upgrade path, and it's more supportable - we can workaround
things on the new side. So, long story short, new -> old will fail due
to making this change, but it's still probably the right thing to do,
as we'll be defining a better pattern for ID registers going forward,
and we never claimed new -> old migrations would work anyway with host
passthrough.

Thanks,
drew