qemu-devel

Re: Kernel patch cases qemu live migration failed.

From: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: Kernel patch cases qemu live migration failed.
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 16:41:04 +0200

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 02:52:34PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On 2020-10-15 14:35, Andrew Jones wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 12:26:10PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Please don't use my arm.com address anymore, nobody reads it...

> > > This patch was only introduced in 5.2, and wasn't supposed to be
> > > backported to anything else.
> >
> > All upstream patches are backport candidates. Welcome to RHEL :-)
>
> Great! RHEL gets to keep the pieces! ;-)

> > > I['m afraid you should take this with your distribution of
> > > choice, unless you can reproduce the problem with mainline kernels.
> >
> > I'll bet this reproduces when migrating from a mainline pre SVE register
> > filtering kernel to a mainline that does the filtering. I don't have
> > time to test that though.
>
> Probably. I'm not really sure where to find SVE HW though, other
> than emulation...

The reporter states neither the source nor destination hardware supports
SVE. My guess is that what's happening is the reserved ID register
ID_UNALLOCATED(4,4) was showing up in the KVM_GET_REG_LIST count on
the old kernel, but the new kernel filters it out. Maybe it is a
bug to filter it out of the count, as it's a reserved ID register and
I suppose the other reserved ID registers are still showing up?

Thanks,
drew