qemu-devel

Re: About 'qemu-security' mailing list

From: P J P
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 16:05:58 +0530 (IST)

  Hello Darren,

+-- On Wed, 30 Sep 2020, Darren Kenny wrote --+
| While that is true, some aliases have managed to do something here by having
| a single key for the alias, and behind the scenes that re-encrypts the
| e-mail for each member of that alias (trying to avoid the 'list' term a
| little here)
|
| An example of this is the 'distro's list, e.g.:

* Yes, true. But it accepts non-encrypted reports too IIUC.

* I'm not sure how is the 'behind the scenes re-encryption' workflow for
  non-member reporters.

  - Ex. say 2-3 non-member reporter(s) send an encrypted report with their
    public keys.

  - A list member triaging such issue, would have to select their individual
    keys for each reply.

| If you're looking to announce before a security issue is fixed, it may just
| be better to keep it to the qemu-security members, which should try to
| include at least 1, if not more, members from interested distros.

* No, I didn't mean an '-announce' list for non-security members. I was more
  wondering about how to handle reproducers and other artefacts sent to the
  list.

* Proposed 'qemu-security' list is meant to have representatives from
  downstream QEMU user communities.

| I know from past kernel security issues, it is still important to a distro
| to be able to reproduce any issues if a PoC is provided.

* Yes, that's true. It should be okay in that case to keep the reproducers and
  such artefacts on the list then.

| There are some existing mechanisms for announcing security issues once
| found, e.g. oss-security:

| A lot of distros have people on this list already monitoring it and many OSS
| projects do send announcements of CVEs and security issues to this, once
| resolved and an embargo period has expired - including Qemu, as I'm sure
| that you know, given I've seen postings from you (Prasad) there.
|
| Why would this not be enough for that?

* Yes, that is a fine, working means of public announcements. We currently use
  the same.

| > * These representatives then decide if an issue can be readily disclosed
and
| >   discussed on the public 'qemu-devel' list OR needs to go through an
embargo
| >   process.
|
| These are all very important points - and the need for an embargo period
| can be vital where Qemu/KVM is being widely deployed in a company.
| | * Between LaunchPad and GitLab, I think GitLab is preferable.

| I would agree that Gitlab may be better here, if it would work - Gitlab
| can certainly be configured to restrict access to specific projects, but
| I'm not sure how that would play into logging an issue if you can't even
| see the project in question as a non-member of the security team.

* True. Reporters may need to open/create GitLab account to report issues.

To summarise:
=============
  - Bugzilla or GitLab issues would entail reporters create an account there
    to report issues.

  - On a moderated 'qemu-security' list, even a non-member shall be able to
    report issues via email.

  - Many voices have said 'Yes' for a moderated 'qemu-security' list.

  - Whether to have an encrypted list or otherwise, is an open question.

    + Encrypted list(ex. -distros) is possible. But it accepts non-encrypted
      mails too IIUC.

    + Mandatory encryption would entail reporters create/share their keys.
      It may become tricky, if reporters are non-members.

  - It should be okay to keep reproducers etc. artefacts on the list..?
    List archives shall not be publicly accessible.

Maybe we could start with a moderated list and improvise as we go forward?

Thank you.
--
Prasad J Pandit / Red Hat Product Security Team
8685 545E B54C 486B C6EB 271E E285 8B5A F050 DE8D