qemu-devel

Re: Possible regression with VGA and resolutions in Windows 10?

From: Aaron Lauterer
Subject: Re: Possible regression with VGA and resolutions in Windows 10?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 15:17:10 +0200

On 7/24/20 11:41 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 04:24:06PM +0200, Aaron Lauterer wrote:
Hi all,

I think we have a regression introduced in commit 0221d73ce6.

Once I start a Windows 10 VM (build 18363) with `-device VGA` I have only the
following resolutions to choose from instead of the much longer list:

1920x1080
1024x768
800x600

That is probably vgabios gaining edid support.

The list should be longer though, the qemu edid block has more
resolutions included.  The qemu-edid tool is a command line
interface to the edid generator, for testing purposes.

Try "qemu-edid | edid-decode" to see the decoded edid data.

Linux guests have the raw edid block in sysfs, see
/sys/class/drm/card0/card0-Virtual-1/edid.

   -device 'VGA,id=vga,vgamem_mb=32,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2' \

Try adding "xres=<width>,yres=<height>" of you want a specific
display resolution.

Try adding "edid=off" to return to previous behavior.

I did try that initially but it seemingly was ignored by Windows.

But I took another look at it and I was able to observe the following behavior
with Win10:

Boot it first with edid enabled (by default) and I see only the short list of
possible resolutions (I forgot 640x480, which is only shown in the Display Adapter
Properties -> List all modes).

Boot it with edid=off and nothing changes, still the short list.
Uninstall the `Microsoft Basic Display Adapter` in Device Manager and reboot
the VM. Now it recognizes all resolutions again.

The behavior is similar when setting a custom resolution with the xres and yres
parameters. Setting it the first time works fine and it is shown along with the
short list. Setting it to something different on the next boot will not be
recognized unless the display adapter is uninstalled and the VM rebooted.

The same applies when changing from edid=off to edid=on. Only after
uninstalling the display driver and a reboot will it change from showing the
long list of resolution to the mentioned short one.

Knowing that uninstalling the display driver after setting edid=off will help
is good enough for now.

Thanks for pointing that out again and nudging me in the right direction.

All the best,
Aaron

HTH & take care,
   Gerd