qemu-devel

Re: Possible regression with VGA and resolutions in Windows 10?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Possible regression with VGA and resolutions in Windows 10?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:41:20 +0200

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 04:24:06PM +0200, Aaron Lauterer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think we have a regression introduced in commit 0221d73ce6.
>
> Once I start a Windows 10 VM (build 18363) with `-device VGA` I have only the
> following resolutions to choose from instead of the much longer list:
>
> 1920x1080
> 1024x768
> 800x600

That is probably vgabios gaining edid support.

The list should be longer though, the qemu edid block has more
resolutions included.  The qemu-edid tool is a command line
interface to the edid generator, for testing purposes.

Try "qemu-edid | edid-decode" to see the decoded edid data.

Linux guests have the raw edid block in sysfs, see
/sys/class/drm/card0/card0-Virtual-1/edid.

>   -device 'VGA,id=vga,vgamem_mb=32,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2' \

Try adding "xres=<width>,yres=<height>" of you want a specific
display resolution.

Try adding "edid=off" to return to previous behavior.

HTH & take care,
  Gerd