qemu-devel

Re: [INFO] Some preliminary performance data

From: Laurent Desnogues
Subject: Re: [INFO] Some preliminary performance data
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 13:36:53 +0200

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 12:17 PM Aleksandar Markovic
<address@hidden> wrote:
>  сре, 6. мај 2020. у 13:26 Alex Bennée <address@hidden> је написао/ла:
>
> > This is very much driven by how much code generation vs running you see.
> > In most of my personal benchmarks I never really notice code generation
> > because I give my machines large amounts of RAM so code tends to stay
> > resident so not need to be re-translated. When the optimiser shows up
> > it's usually accompanied by high TB flush and invalidate counts in "info
> > jit" because we are doing more translation that we usually do.
> >

> Yes, I think the machine was setup with only 128MB RAM.
>
> That would be an interesting experiment for Ahmed actually - to
> measure impact of given RAM memory to performance.
>
> But it looks that at least for machines with small RAM, translation
> phase will take significant percentage.
>
> I am attaching call graph for translation phase for "Hello World" built
> for mips, and emulated by QEMU: *tb_gen_code() and its calees)

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but both "Hello World" and a
Linux boot will exhibit similar behaviors with low reuse of
translated blocks, which means translation will show up in
profiles as a lot of time is spent in translating blocks that
will run once.  If you push in that direction you might reach
the conclusion that a non JIST simulator is faster than QEMU.

You will have to carefully select the tests you run:  you need
a large spectrum from Linux boot, "Hello World" up to synthetic
benchmarks.

Again sorry if that was too trivial :-)

Laurent