qemu-devel

Re: Integrating QOM into QAPI

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Integrating QOM into QAPI
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 15:04:28 +0000

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 08:10, Christophe de Dinechin
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I’m still puzzled as to why anybody would switch to something like
> GObject when there is C++.

I'm fairly strongly against using C++. C++'s language design
is an "everything including the kitchen sink, lots of "this
is here for back compat but it's a bear trap", lots of new
stuff arriving all the time. It's just too big to keep in
your head all at once. C has its faults, absolutely, but at
least it tries to be a reasonably sized vaguely coherent
language.

You'd have more luck persuading me we should move to Rust:
at least then we'd get some clear benefits (no more buffer
overrun security bugs) for the upheaval :-)

thanks
-- PMM