qemu-devel

Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 13:35:21 +0400

Hi

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 1:21 PM Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:

> Christophe de Dinechin <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> To make this worthwhile, we'd have to replace dynamic QOM properties by
> >> static ones when possible.  Monumental task.
> >
> > I’m sure you are right, but it’s hard for me to evaluate, given how
> > many ways there are to access an object. Naively, grepping for
> > set_prop and for new_with_prop does not give me that many hits.
>
> Look for object_property_add*().  Some 450 hits.

fwiw, I have started tackling that.

Easy first step is to move all QDev properties to class properties,
and this is done in :
https://patchew.org/QEMU/address@hidden/

Moving from instance to class properties is straightforward many times
(when the property is unconditonally added in instance init for
example). There are a few complicated cases though.

To me, the most problematic is reviewer-time and willingness to do
such low-benefits changes.

> Basing the QAPI language on JSON was a poor choice.  Not sure that's
> fixable at a reasonable cost.

Translating it to another language should be relatively easy, but to what?

--
Marc-André Lureau