qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] libvhost-user: implement VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_KI

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] libvhost-user: implement VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_KICK_CALL_MSGS
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 05:16:51 -0400

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 05:52:36PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-09-09 at 15:50 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
>
> > > We can document how to behave in case of inconsistent protocol features,
> > > yes.
> >
> > OK.
>
> Coming back to this, I was just looking at it.
>
> How/where would you like to see this done?
>
> There isn't really any section that lists and explains the various
> protocol features, there's only a list. I could add a new section for
> "Simulation" or something like that that explains it, but then most
> people would probably skip that and not ever read the text about how you
> shouldn't implement F_KICK_CALL_MSGS :-)
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> johannes

Each feature is documented near the description of the functionality it
enables, that can work for this. I don't much like F_KICK_CALL_MSGS as
not generic enough but it's not simulation as such:
IN_BAND_NOTIFICATIONS?

As for how to handle errors, that probably belongs near
"Communication".

Or maybe add a new "Error handling" section.