Re: Role of qemu-arm

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Role of qemu-arm
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 14:43:49 +0100

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 14:03, vincent Dupaquis
<v.dupaquis@trusted-objects.com> wrote:
>     It is a shame, so I suppose I'll have to stay with my emulation
> using netduino2 or so ...
>
>     That was the reason why I tried to use qem-arm, which is probably
> crashing because what you just suggested.

qemu-arm is for "I'm a linux userspace binary"; if your code is
a userspace binary then you can use it...

>     Is there a way of pointing-out the interest for the feature ?

I'm afraid we don't support or have any plan to support
"just run a CPU, no peripherals". I don't think there's much
utility in it -- M-profile needs the interrupt controller,
almost any setup wants to have a UART for I/O, and you need
some actual RAM, which then leaves you with the question of
what address to put the RAM at. At that point you're not
really "just a CPU", you're "a minimalist board that doesn't
correspond to any real hardware". We've found from experience
that emulating things which don't correspond to something
in the real world is not really maintainable and supportable
in the long term.

If your code will genuinely run on any M-profile board,
just pick whichever one seems most useful and ignore
the devices you don't need to use. (I like the mps2-an385,
it has a bit more RAM than most.)

thanks
-- PMM