pyatcron-devel-list

RE: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Explanation on the cron timeentries(Was:Some c

From: Childers, Matthew
Subject: RE: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Explanation on the cron timeentries(Was:Some comments on Brian code)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:34:32 -0600

> > Cool, I like this. Let's do it this way.
> >

> I'm coding it right now (in the assistant page 3). I'll commit it when
> I'm done.

I tried the cron task, and set it up with my schedule looking like this:

*/45 * * * * /bin/mycommand

I watched my email, and noticed that it is firing the task at the top of
every hour and at the 45th minute of every hour.  It is NOT, running
every 45 minutes like I would expect it to.

I'm starting to think that */n in the minutes column actually means:
0-59 and step by n minutes.  And if n = 45 then it would run at 0 and 45
minutes on every hour (assuming the hour field is *).  And if n = 10
then it would run at 0,10,20,30,40,50.  So before we just assume that
*/45 means run every 45 minutes, and before we start crafting a GUI
based on this assumption, we may want to do a little more research into
it.  Did anyone else try this little experiment?