pspp-users

Re: how to keep updated with pspp and git repository

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: how to keep updated with pspp and git repository
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 13:13:00 +0100

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 06:54:18PM +0800, dr soumalya ray wrote:

     i have downloaded and compiled PSPP form the git repository in a laptop
running ubuntu 12.04.
     i have never tried git before; so i've some questions. i'll be highly
obliged if these questions could be answered-
     1)i was previously using the PSPP version available? in the ubuntu
repository. the first difference i have found with that version in this
compiled version is that i am unable to launch the gui from the unity shortcut.
i mean when i am clicking on the shortcut of the pspp, nothing happens.
     on typing psppire or pspp in the terminal, the gui/cli is launching
respectively; but the shortcut is? not working.
     how could i launch the gui from the shortcut again?

I'm sure it must be possible.  But I don't know how to do it.  I suggest you ask
 on an Ubuntu expert on an appropriate mailing list/forum.

     2)how to stay updated with latest version of PSPP?
     i mean previously, whenever any latest version became available in the
repository, it appeared in the updates. now that i am using the git repository,
what will be the step to download the latest update? do i need to repeat all
the steps for compiling and installing?
     steps followed-
        1. git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/pspp.git
        2. git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/gnulib.git gnulib
        3. cd gnulib
        4. git checkout 392f10a #commit number;first few digits

        5. cd
        6. cd pspp
        7. make -f Smake
        8. ./configure
        9. make
        10. sudo make install

     3) in case i need to repeat this procedure everytime for the update, will
it download the whole file again? or only the changed files? asking this
question keeping in mind about the data usage limit of my internet connection.

Once you have successfully built once, normally, to get updates, you only have
to do:

        1. cd pspp
        2. git pull
        3. make
        4. sudo make install

I say, "normally" because this will work 99 time out of 100.  However,
depending what
has changed, you may have to repeat some or all of the other steps.

Also, please be aware, that the versions in git, whilst very up-to-date, have
not always
been thoroughly tested.

Regards,

John