pspp-users

Re: I am complete new to PSPP and have some questions

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: I am complete new to PSPP and have some questions
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:37:16 +0000

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:09:05AM +0200, Stefan Layer wrote:
     ...finanlly have found this mailing-list.
     Is there anybody to tell me more about PSPP.

     I have already installed and also used it.
     I think sucessfully.
     Nevertheless there are often Questions left.
     Is there only this "mailing list archive" or is there also something like a
     "forum".
     then it would be easier to look for "older already solved questions".

This is the only forum that is "official".  I find it very easy to search for
previous
questions by going to http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pspp-users and typing a
phrase in the Search box there.

     Questions:
     1. I need help in interpreting the statistical result number.
     This is most due to a basic lack in memory to my statistical classes more
     than 25 years ago.
     But also - ich couldnt find an explanation.

     For example the results of a simple survey about the ability of
twinkling...
     (isnt that sweet...)

     a) For "my eyes" there is the strange result, that people form Northamerica
     are more likely to be able to twinkle only on the right side,
     versus people from europe more on the left.
     I understand the first 3 lines of percentages - but not the last line - the
     fourth one.
     b) Can anybody give me an mathematical explaniation

     c) I also do not know how to interpretate correctly the last information
     package
     about "Statistics". Is there an anybody to tell me more about that?

     !

I don't regularly use the Crosstabs command, so I'll let someone else explain
that.

     2. If I will get more additional answers of this survey, how can I add the
     new cases easily
     and automaticly from an Excel-file or an csv-file...?

CSV can easily be imported using the GET DATA command. Alternatively, if you are
using the GUI, then the File->Import Delemited Text Data menu is an easy
front-end
to this command.

There is currently no direct way if importing Excel files.  However Gnumeric
and OpenOffice
spreadsheets can similarly be imported using GET DATA (see the manual for
details).  I
understand that some versions of Excel can export to OpenOffice format.

     3. I dont know, how to put the Syntax-Infos (with SPSS syntax) into PSPP...

There are three ways:

 1. Put the syntax into a file, and type "pspp <filename>".

 2. Just type "pspp" on its own, and manually enter the syntax at the prompt.

 3. Start psppire, select File->New->Syntax, Enter the syntax (or load it from
a pre-existing file)
    and select Run->All.

Hope this helps.

J'