pspp-users

Re: Samples between PSPP and SPSS

From: Andy Choens
Subject: Re: Samples between PSPP and SPSS
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:03:11 -0400

Jason, John,

Thanks for the information. I am writing most of my syntax on PSPP on my Linux
box but I will check it against a copy of SPSS
I have access to periodically. Reproducability of the sample selection is
important and I will see if I can get the same results
from both SPSS and PSPP when I use the same seed across both systems.

I am also going to see if I can reproduce the same sample outcome using R.

Should make for an interesting experiment. The only copy of SPSS that I have
regular access to is Version 11, which may or
may not make a difference. If I can get my hands on a newer copy of SPSS, I'll
test it there too.

Thanks
--andy

On Wednesday, September 21, 2011 06:29:01 PM John Darrington wrote:
> In SPSS, you can choose between the MC rng and the Mersenne Twister
> using the commands:
>
> SET RNG=MC.
>
> or
>
> SET RNG=MT.
>

> See the SPSS documentation for details.
>

> PSPP doesn't implement this.  (Perhaps we should?)  Like Jason says, we
> always use the
> Mersenne Twister.
>
> I also notice that the SPSS docs say that the default seed is 2000000 whereas
> we set it
> from the realtime clock.
>
> I'd be interested to see some of your experiements to see what is necessary
> to make them
> match (if it's at all possible).  It would also be interesting to see how the
> random
> number distributions fare when analysed with some of the non-parametric tests.
>
> J'
>

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 12:50:47PM -0400, Jason Stover wrote:
>      On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:12:39AM -0400, Andy Choens wrote:
>      > If I set a set to a consitent value, say 123, and create a sample in
> PSPP will it match the sample created by SPSS?
>
>      I doubt it, but can't be sure becaus the source code to SPSS is kept
>      secret.
>
>      > If someone
>      > knows which pseudo number generator is being used by PSPP and SPSS
> respectively that would also be a big help so I
could