pspp-users

Re: next version of PSPP

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: next version of PSPP
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:37:39 -0600

Jason Stover wrote:
I'm not sure about the time frame, but among the new statistical
procedures will be GLM. What kinds of analyses do you most need?

Are correlations available yet? (Last week, my student just showed me his PSPP installation and "Analyze > Correlations" was not an option.) I have taught both statistics and research methods at the undergraduate level and PSPP is completely useless to me until it includes the computation of (simple, Pearson) correlations. About a year ago, I tried to figure out what the problem was and emails I dug out of the mailing list archives seemed to suggest that the PSPP team was waiting for some background plumbing to make the calculation of correlation matrices efficient. Efficient would be nice, but while that "right-way" plumbing were being implemented, it sure would be nice to have an inefficient, naive implementation today. After all, the actual SPSS (i.e., PASW) is getting progressively slower with each version... a naive implementation in PSPP might well be faster than PASW 17. (This is of such importance to me that I installed GSL to write my own PSPP patch but I got distracted by C and gsl and started writing a program to perform latent semantic analysis.)

I'm honestly shocked that no one else has mentioned correlations in this thread... Is there a build switch that does enable some naive implementation of correlations? Or they've been implemented and I missed it? [I've got to be honest, I don't bother installing new versions because until basic descriptive stats are implemented (like the ability to generate the correlation matrix of variables that would be submitted to GLM or Factor) PSPP is simply unusable.]

Also, Reliabilities ('Analyze > Scale > Reliabilities') would also be useful for me.

-Alan

--
Alan D. Mead, Ph.D. Assistant Professor, Institute of Psychology
Scientific Adviser, Center for Research and Service

Skype: alandmead
+312.567.5933 (Campus)
+815.588.3846 (Home Office)
+312.567.3493 (Fax)