pspp-users

Re: Free Software X Windows

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Free Software X Windows
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:45:52 +0800

Free software is about freedom.  And freedom means not forcing anybody
to do anything.  If a user understands the moral and practical problems
of Windoze and still chooses to use it, then that is their decision.

So personally, I don't have any problem with publically available windoze
binaries of PSPP (so long as they respect the licence), or any other free
software.  It may also help someone who is considering changing their
proprietary Windoze OS to a free GNU/Linux OS to make up their mind.  For
this reason, the GNU project publishes a list of free software for windoze:
http://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.html

Having said that, I think it's important that windoze users are informed about
the ethical problems of non-free software.  So I would like to see every web
page
offering free binaries for non-free operating systems, having a link to an
appropriate URL explaining the issues.  The web page
http://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software
might be a good choice.

The official GNU policy on this is clear. GNU software running on a free OS
must work at least as good, preferably better, than when running on a non-free
OS.  So the Windoze version will never work better than the GNU/Linux one.