pspp-users

How do you delete variables?

From: jlablackbird
Subject: How do you delete variables?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:42:13 -0700 (PDT)

I read the little clip in the help screen.
8.2 DELETE VARIABLES
====================

     DELETE VARIABLES var_list.

   DELETE VARIABLES deletes the specified variables from the
dictionary.  It may not be used to delete all variables from the
dictionary; use NEW FILE to do that (*Note NEW FILE::).

   DELETE VARIABLES should not used after defining transformations and
before executing a procedure.  If it is used in such a context, it
causes the data to be read.  If it is used while TEMPORARY is in
effect, it causes the temporary transformations to become permanent.

It does not really help me.  How do I enter the command and where does it
go?  Do I write in the name of the variable I want to delete?  I ended up
with some extra variables that I did not want to have.  I'd like to clean up
the files.

I'm afraid if I put in the command wrong, I may delete all my variables?  I
am new to PSPP.  Can someone please walk me though the process.  I'm not
super "techie."

Thanks,
Julia