pspp-users

random number generator

From: Matej Kovacic
Subject: random number generator
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:52:33 +0100

Hi,

> It works for me.  Perhaps you forgot to hit the "Run Pending
> Transformations" button?

Exactly that was the problem. Well, this is something which always make
me angry also in in new SPSS versions. :-))

BTW, I have found that when you are creating samples in SPSS, something
strange happens - if you create let's say 5 samples of the same size,
SPSS is selecting the same units (I found up to 20% of the same units in
this 5 samples).

It seems SPSS is unsing faulty (biased) random number generator,
probably RNG from Windows (I was using Windows 2000, which is known to
have weak RNG).

What exactly is using PSPP?

bye, Matej