pspp-users

Re: Output files [pspp-1.png etc.] - where exactly are they?

From: Michel Boaventura
Subject: Re: Output files [pspp-1.png etc.] - where exactly are they?
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 00:34:51 -0300

Hello Martin,

2009/3/1 Martin (London) <address@hidden>:

> I'm a newbie using PSPP in a Windows Vista environment and I am trying to
> understand what graphing capabilities PSPP has and exactly how (in very
> simple language) to use them. My questions are...

Good to know that you are using pspp :D

> 1.) From reading previous posts and searching the web I've established the
> graphical user interface (GUI) cannot yet be used to produce graphs but that
> syntax commands can. For example, the following command produces a frequency
> chart for variable1 in the output window followed by the line "see
> pspp-1.png for a chart", however I cannot find the file 'pspp-1.png'
> anywhere on my computer
[...]
Where did you download the windows version? There's more than one.
Some of they save the output
on the location that you've started pspp. If you run it from a desktop
icon, it should save output to desktop,
and so on. Newer versions save it on the user's home folder. On
windows vista it should be something like
c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\

> and I am not sure what to do with it once I do find
> it. Can you point me the right direction?
The png output its an image, like a jpeg or git. Once you found it,
you can double click it and see the
output.

> 2.) I have read elsewhere on this forum that other types of graph can be
> produced, for example that EXAMINE or EXPLORE or DESCRIPTIVE can produce
> plots [/PLOT] and boxplots [/BOXPLOT], and that FREQUENCIES can produce
> piecharts [/PIECHART] but is there a comprehensive list of graph commands
> available anywhere?
There's an pspp documentation who list all of it features. Take a look on:
http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/pspp.html
You can see which function has plots by searching the word "PLOT" on
the documentation.

> Incidently, when I attempt to produce a piechart using
> FREQUENCIES, PSPP closes down?!
Can you please tell us which command did you use who makes pspp to crash?
If possible, can you send us the file who crash it?