pspp-users

Re: RECODE, CHISQ issues, and other feedback

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: RECODE, CHISQ issues, and other feedback
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:30:10 +0800

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 09:08:09PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
     Her professor gives her data files in SPSS format, which I've been able
     to load with pspp, but one of the datasets has a string format column,
     which I need to make numeric.  I've done a recode in both the psppire
     gui and by cli with RECODE (CONVERT) and it's just setting the value to
     zero for everything.  RECODE is also missing all the THRU src constructs
     for the recode mapping.  CONVERT doesn't seem to be "useful" at the
     moment.  What worked for me was to do ('   1'=1) etc. maps, for all
     values that were strings that needed to be cast to NUMERIC.

Can you post a bug report, giving a small example of syntax which
illustrates these problems.

     I REALLY don't think people should have to pay the gobs of money they
     charge for SPSS, so if you guys need any coding to fill in the gaps, let
     me know.  I'll probably be submitting some patches, at least to fix up
     RECODE to at least match the manual's claims for what it does.  I looked
     at the source code to figure out why THRU wasn't working (being
     unimplemented), so I'm already in the code.  I might work on THRU,
     CONVERT, and single-factor chi-square is broken, even though passing
     multiple factors into it seems to work.  CROSSTABS /CELLS=... doesn't do
     what I expect, either.

Any patches would be welcome.  If you fix a bug, please accompany the
patch with a test for that bug, like the ones you see in tests/bugs/*.sh

     Also, the HTML driver for CROSSTABS is outputting nonsense for
     the chi-square tests compared to the ASCII layout for some reason I
     haven't looked into.

Again, a test case showing these problems would be very useful.  You
can also use NPAR TESTS to perform chi-square tests, if CROSSTABS
doesn't do what you want.

     The GUI seems good for displaying data, but I haven't bothered using it
     to do any syntax creation -- just using straight command-line and the
     texinfo manual.  It seems sparse at the moment, but a good start.

Indeed, at the moment it is sparse.  It's also buggy.  But it's there
for people to comment on.

     Oh, and maybe you guys can hang out in the #pspp channel on freenode
     where it says you are but nobody actually idles?

I'm there sometimes, but not 24x7.

     BTW, how far along are people with the framework needed to
     implement ANOVA?

Oneway anova is already implemented in the ONEWAY command.  Hopefully
there'll be an implementation of GLM soon ...

Thanks for your feedback.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3