pspp-users

RECODE, CHISQ issues, and other feedback

From: seth
Subject: RECODE, CHISQ issues, and other feedback
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:08:09 -0700

I've downloaded the 0.4.2 version of pspp and built it.  I'm not a
regular SPSS user, but my wife is taking a statistics class, and I'm
looking for something to do basic SPSS stuff.

Her professor gives her data files in SPSS format, which I've been able
to load with pspp, but one of the datasets has a string format column,
which I need to make numeric.  I've done a recode in both the psppire
gui and by cli with RECODE (CONVERT) and it's just setting the value to
zero for everything.  RECODE is also missing all the THRU src constructs
for the recode mapping.  CONVERT doesn't seem to be "useful" at the
moment.  What worked for me was to do ('   1'=1) etc. maps, for all
values that were strings that needed to be cast to NUMERIC.

Right now I'm just working on getting ONEWAY, T-TEST, CHISQ going based
off her homework problems as a good "trial run" for pspp.  The computer
lab at San Jose State University in the Washington Hall has a number of
machines with SPSS on them, so I have something to compare against.

I REALLY don't think people should have to pay the gobs of money they
charge for SPSS, so if you guys need any coding to fill in the gaps, let
me know.  I'll probably be submitting some patches, at least to fix up
RECODE to at least match the manual's claims for what it does.  I looked
at the source code to figure out why THRU wasn't working (being
unimplemented), so I'm already in the code.  I might work on THRU,
CONVERT, and single-factor chi-square is broken, even though passing
multiple factors into it seems to work.  CROSSTABS /CELLS=... doesn't do
what I expect, either.

Also, the HTML driver for CROSSTABS is outputting nonsense for
the chi-square tests compared to the ASCII layout for some reason I
haven't looked into.

The GUI seems good for displaying data, but I haven't bothered using it
to do any syntax creation -- just using straight command-line and the
texinfo manual.  It seems sparse at the moment, but a good start.

Oh, and maybe you guys can hang out in the #pspp channel on freenode
where it says you are but nobody actually idles?

BTW, how far along are people with the framework needed to
implement ANOVA?

Seth