pspp-users

Re: PSPP outup and instalation

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: PSPP outup and instalation
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:08:16 -0800

"PiotrKrowiarz" <address@hidden> writes:

>     I am impressed Your PSPP project - I have recently found it in the
> internet.
> I am an SPSS user and I am looking forward to have an
> open source statistical software, which is that powerfull as SPSS is.
> Actually I
> think You could fix a lot of SPSS features which are very unpleasent fot the
> analytics.

PSPP is certainly not as powerful as SPSS yet, and it will not be
for a long time yet.  But we are working on it.

Your suggestions are welcome, of course.

>     I have few questions about PSPP. I would like to know if an unerxperienced
> linux user is able to install it at the computer and start doing analysis? I
> have
> linux distribution on my computer but I am not an expericenced user - I
> installed
> my distibution automaticly from the CD and for now I know only few basic linux
> commands - Is this enough to start? I mean does PSPP installs automaticly on
> my
> computer with all its features?.

PSPP is not so easy to install from source for an inexperienced
user.  If you use Debian or Ubuntu, then easy-to-install packages
are available.

>     Another question - does PSPP produce output files similar to SPSS - is
> this
> possible to use resaults of analysis just after running it from syntax?
> Another
> question: is this possible to export the resaults to open office by using
> syntax?.

PSPP can produce output in ASCII, PostScript, or HTML currently.
In the future, we will add the ability to export results to
various formats, including those that should easily import in
OpenOffice.
--
Peter Seebach on managing engineers:
"It's like herding cats, only most of the engineers are already