Re: [phpGroupWare-users] Re: newby trying to instal phpgw on debian etch

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-users] Re: newby trying to instal phpgw on debian etch
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:15:19 -0500

On 5/29/07, Rhian wrote:
I have the same problem on a debian install. Install of phpgw with apt-get,
MySQL and Apache already installed. Also php4, php4-cgi, php4-cli, php4-common,
php4-gd, php4-imap, php4-mysql and php4-pgsql are installed. Database created
OK, file permissions set on folders then

   # mysql -u someuser -p
    mysql> grant all on phpgroupware.* to address@hidden identified by
"somepassword";

only root can do this mysql command.

The only other error message I have seen concerns mcrypt module is missing,
php-mcrypt will not install as it cannot be authenticated, do I need to force
this to be installed? or will phpgw work without it?

mcrypt is not required unless you set the option in the header manager
to use it.  If the package won't authenticated and it is from a
trusted source then take that up with debian.  it is probably safe to
force it but they need to fix that anyway.

There is an install howto on the download page on phpgroupware.org.
Since phpGroupWare has a web based configuration there is very little
that the debian package can do to help set it up.  Someone would need
to write and maintain shell scripts that could setup phpgw and then
make the debian package use them.

I do not know if the packages in etch have our patches for better php5
support, this could also be part of the problem.