[Phpgroupware-users] Another satisifed customer

From: phpGroupWare Mail
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Another satisifed customer
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:18:49 -0600 (MDT)

I just stumbled across phpGroupWare last week and I'm very impressed with it
thus far. Granted, there are some minor bugs in it, but they aren't so
serious that it makes the package unuseable. A lot of the bugs I've found
I've been able to patch myself with minimal effort. Writing custom add-ons
appears to be pretty painless too. I'm wondering how I overlooked this
package for so long.

Anyway, a company that I do contract work for here is part of the largest
John Deere heavy equipment dealership chain in the central US and they still
can't believe phpGroupWare is a free and open source program. They're
convinced that there's got to be a hidden fee in the program somewhere
because they just spent over $100,000 US back in 1998 for a Windows based
package called Maximizer by Multi-Active Software, and phpGroupWare does
everything they've been using Maximizer for and it doesn't crash the server
under heavy use. I looked at quite a few other open source groupware
packages, and phpGroupWare simply blows the pants off of everything else out
there in my opinion. The Moregroupware package on SourceForge looked real
promising at first, but it's entirely too buggy and a few people on its
development team get unbelieveably bent out of shape and resort to insults
when you point out bugs to them in their mailing list. Obviously they're in
the wrong line of business.

I do have a question for whomever is in charge of the calendar portion of the
package. Are there any plans to add e-mail notifications of upcoming calendar
events? I see that the calendar portion of the package is actually a modified
version of the WebCalendar project on SourceForge. WebCalendar offers e-mail
reminder capabilities, so I'm wondering if this is a feature that was removed
from the phpGroupWare calendar or if the code used in the phpGroupWare
calendar was from a version of WebCalendar before it had that capability. At
any rate, are there any plans of that feature?