Re: [Phpgroupware-users] various problems with 9.14 rc3 mail?

From: Wolfgang Büch
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] various problems with 9.14 rc3 mail?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:21:07 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry, but this was a misunderstanding.
First of all thanks to all the developers  of  phpgw for all their effort
anf time spend. What did i mean ?

First:
Seeking for a groupware solution phpgw was the only one that fits our needs.
No other even commercial ones was that flexible and  modular for future
developments like central authentifikation over LDAP.

Second:
Forced to implement phpgw in a production you are faced with the option to
give up if some essential modules like  mail are not working probably.
This makes the way plain for those saying opensource is inappropriate for
business solution.
But thats not true. We tested a lot and really lot !
So if you do not want to go back to Billy Boys  Knowledge Base you got to
make a decision.

Third:
So what i meant was better start with that modules in phpgw which are
working fine and add the rest you need as a single applikation just with a
link.
Of course that option doesn `t fit to the underlying concept of a groupware
solution, but it is a first step of migration to phhpgw and implemetation in
production enviroument.
Sometimes you have to make a compromise!

And last:
Refering to squirrelmail i just can say that we tested over 6 web based
client and find that working best.

Think about:
For some people having to set up phgw in production even if it is just
university, they have to find a solution somehow for the needs of the users.
It is not a private testing at home for them.

Do you know what i mean???????

If you cannot get it to work and fit somehow the needs of the users, you
have to go back to outlook.

The consequence is clear, isn`t it ?

Outlook means windows 2000 Server

Windows2000 Server means no linux Dektop.

And last you got to setup IIES for your intranet in combination with
exchange server !

And then you are home again !

Why ? Is that guy stupid ?!
NO NO !!

It is all a question of SSO over ldap or SSO over AD with microsoft!
And be aware, there is unfortunatly no choice between any longer!
Thank you Microsoft !
But phpgw is nearly ready for SSO over ldap !

So asked yourself: Where do you want to go tomorrow !

But i`m not a spammer, dear Seek3r !