Re: [paragui-users] Projects leadership

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] Projects leadership
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:28:06 -0700 (PDT)

What's needed is a leader capable of committing CVS changes :)

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Antony Shaleynikov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very glad, that with Alexander's leaving, the project continues to
> take attraction and keeps to be discussed.
> But we have a problem: we cannot concentrate our efforts on one task, we
> spend much trouble on minor tasks and that's why we have no positive
> results.
> Therefore it seems to me, that we need a person who will concentrate his
> efforts only for resolving the problems, important for ParaGUI.
> I can cope with this task, but bad knowledge of English does not allow
> me to undertake the responsibility.
> Also it is necessary to clear, what we wish to see in ParaGUI?
> Let me tell you my vision of ParaGUI in the future, and then we shall
> discuss it together.
>
> I want ParaGUI:
> * to be fast and stable

It is pretty much.  as much as C++ can be I guess.  Oh wait I'm showing my
bias here *g*.  Actually, it's just libstdc++ that's a little heavyweight.

> * to have clear interfaces

afaik that's a goal that's already met.  Good to keep that one :)

> * to run at any platforms, that are supported by SDL

That will never happen.  The best you can hope for is any platform that
supports SDL, freetype and libstdc++.  Actually it's not that smaller a
list :)
And if my devel-opengl branch ever gets merged in, it will work in
situations that SDL -CANNOT- work in - such as within OpenGL.

> * to be very lightweight

Depends on what you mean by lightweight.  Do you mean small memory
constraints?  It can't get any smaller as it stands now.  But if you mean
doesn't get in the way of operations of programs, that it has already.

> * to be highly configurable

Suggestions?

> * to be well documented, have tutorials and other supporting
> documentation

*heh* Suggestions?

> >From all above it can be concluded, that I want ParaGUI to be only a
> library of widgets, constructed on the basis of SDL. I offer the
> community to concentrate on this.
> Also it is necessary to freeze the interfaces of ParaGUI 1.x, making
> only bugfixes.

Depends on the bug.  ParaGUI's been pretty much under a code freeze from
my perspective for about a year now.  As a result I've been coding my
stuff with not a -chance- of it ever getting merged in or used - or have
anyone check it.  Call me annoyed.

devel-opengl CVS - needs some repairs.  Don't know where to go from here,
but it DOES run 100% on SDL as it stands.  It's the opengl driver that's
broken.  It also lacks the latest bugs mentioned on the list and has some
other differences.  But it may still have some older bugs, not sure if I
got them all.

My goal with devel-opengl:
- Video driver support - done
- 100% operational under SDL - done
- OpenGL driver - not stable

C port - that's mine.  Actually it's different off to the point it might
as well be renamed.  Ideas?

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis