Re: [paragui-users] Some questions - developer feedback please :)

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] Some questions - developer feedback please :)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:15:26 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Roger D. Vargas wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Teunis Peters wrote:
>
> > on 3D and/or video contexts:
> >    What parameters are needed?
> >    How should a 3D system interact with ParaGUI event-wise?
> >    What information would such a system need?
> >    How SHOULD paragui interact within another visual system...
> >        example: paragui window inside 3D app
> >        or even paragui surface on 3d texture :)
> I dont know if i underestand you well, but i think (from what i've seen
> in some 3d engines) that would be nice if paragui can use already
> initialized video modes.

COULD be done - but would be needlessly hard.  (has to do with needing
some metadata used in setup).  Far easier to use -paragui- to set
videomode - at least if one's intending to use anything other than the SDL
driver.
The simple form: because ParaGUI/OpenGL (specifically) needs to know a LOT
about the system context, it's easier just to talk to -it-....

> Also 3d engines have its own event handlers.

THAT is a problem.  There -MUST- be a way to coordinate this.
Any ideas here?

Be aware that if ParaGUI's running it's probably got control of the event
system and of the videosystem...  it's happy to share though.
There ARE ways around the event system side (dblbuffer.cpp does this).

any ideas for how to coordinate this?  Actually ParaGUI doesn't need to
have control of the event system (for the most part) - it just needs
certain kinds of events to operate - you know: refresh, resize, iconize,
restore, keyboard and mouse :)

> > Also, am thinking of some additional components for ParaGUI:
> >
> > Layout manager:
> >        - to manage and rearrange widget/window layouts....
> Very good.

*heh* it's actually primarily to handle video-refresh and overlay issues,
it's ability to rearrange widgets/windows will be an added bonus :)

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis