Re: [paragui-users] Paragui redesign

From: Andrew Ford
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] Paragui redesign
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 09:20:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- Alexander Pipelka <address@hidden> wrote:

> By deleting a parent widget all child widget will
> also be deleted.

The part that confuses me is what happens when that
widget was declared locally.  The compiler compains
then anyway about taking the address of a temporary,
doesn't it?

> > So how do we pass specific attributes (or sets of
> > attributes that share some context) back to the
> > super-class for processing?  We obviously don't
> want
> > to do the full parsing in each widget (and users
> would
> > then hate laying out custom widgets).
>
> Hmm,..
> There is no need for every widget to parse all
> possible attributes.
> It should work like this:
>
> PG_Widget::parseXMLAtts(...) {
>       parse atts of PG_Widget
> }
>
> myclass::parseXMLAtts(...) {
>       PG_Widget::parseXMLAtts(...)
>       parse atts of myclass
> }
>
> mysubclass::parseXMLAtts(...) {
>       myclass::parseXMLAtts(...)
>       only parse atts of mysubclass
> }

Is this going top-down?  What happens if mysubclass
wants to do something different with one of
PG_Widget's attributes, for instance?  Does a widget
ever need to do this?  And if it's bottom-up, how do
we pass numerous attributes back to the super-class
without burdening the widget-writer.  Sorry if I don't
understand what's going on here :)

Andrew.