Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Changes in module imu_mpu6000_hmc5883.xml

From: Helge Walle
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Changes in module imu_mpu6000_hmc5883.xml
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 21:16:59 +0100

Thank you Felix,

I was so focused on getting it to work today that I didn't even think of configuring the slave index via the airframe file.
Sorry for that, now I'll add the configure to my airframe file.

Back then, when everything was working with mpu6000_hmc5883 I didn't try another subsystem.
I'll try the "normal" one again and see how that works.

Thanks again,
Helge.

Hi Helge,

I don't remember the reason why you didn't end up using the "normal" imu_aspirin_v2.1 subsystem/module (where the mag is a slave of the MPU)...

In any case with the conversion from subsystems to modules [1] we decided to not provide different defaults for LPC and STM based boards anymore, as that was causing quite a bit of confusion.
So now we only have one default (See http://docs.paparazziuav.org/v5.10/module__imu_mpu6000_hmc5883.html), in that case the default IMU_MPU_SPI_SLAVE_IDX is now SPI_SLAVE0 for all boards (where formerly it was SPI_SLAVE2 only for STM boards).
And as SPI_SLAVE2 doesn't exist on all boards, SLAVE0 was a better default...

And you don't have to change the module xml file, you can configure it from your airframe file:
<module name="imu_mpu6000_hmc5883">
  <configure name="IMU_MPU_SPI_SLAVE_IDX" value="SPI_SLAVE2"/>
</module>

[1] https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/pull/1788

Cheers, Felix