Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Connecting Navilock NL-652ETTL

From: Helge Walle
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Connecting Navilock NL-652ETTL
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 09:57:40 +0100

Hi,

If you have the Paparazzi Utility Board i think this is the schematic:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/paparazzi-devel/2011-04/pdfzFcAyijlne.pdf
It seems you have to close R1 to get 3.3V signal level, and solder connecting pins to H5 to access the board.

The data sheet for the GPS showing connections:
www.navilock.de/files/16996.download
I suppose you have the connecting cable to the GPS.

Where to connect the GPS to the TWOG:
http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Twog_v1#Pinout
Look at the Download/GPS connector.

Remember RX-->TX and TX-->RX.

To get to know the GPS board, personally I would recommend downloading u-center here:
https://www.u-blox.com/en/evaluation-tools-a-software/u-center/u-center.html
and take your time to manually configure the GPS with the utility board.

This is described here: http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/GPS#LEA-6H

After that I would suggest having a look at the automated configuration process in  the Paparazzi wiki.

Helge.

Hello,

I have a beginners question concerning the Navilock NL-652ETTL for which I couldn't find documentation (probably it's just a problem for bloody beginners without any electronics knowledge):

How do I connect the 5 pins of the NL-652ETTL to the TWOG (or APOGEE) and to the PC for configuration?

The Navilock has the following 5 pins:
 Pin 1: +5V
 Pin 2: GND
 Pin 3: Shield (whatever it is?)
 Pin 4: 3.3V TTL TX
 Pin 5: 3.3V TTL RX

The TWOG serial port has the 8 pins:
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: +5V
Pin 3: +3.3V
Pin 4: DIR
Pin 5: CTS
Pin 6: RTS
Pin 7: RXD1
Pin 8: TXD1

So I would connect the Navilock pins to a 8-pin molex connector for the TWOG as follows:
Navilock Pin 1 -> TWOG-serial pin 2
Navilock Pin 2 -> TWOG-serial pin 1
Navilock Pin 3 (empty)
Navilock Pin 4 -> TWOG-serial pin 7
Navilock Pin 5 -> TWOG-serial pin 8

Is this right?

If I would like to connect the GPS to a 5-pin molex connector for the Apogee UART:
Navilock Pin 1 -> Apogee-UART pin 2
Navilock Pin 2 -> Apogee-UART pin 1
Navilock Pin 3 (empty)
Navilock Pin 4 -> Apogee-UART pin 4
Navilock Pin 5 -> Apogee-UART pin 5

Is this OK?

If I have to configure the GPS, can I do it with the TWOG loading the tunnel subsystem?

If I want to configure the GPS with the FTDI utility board, how do I connect? Is there a documentation on the FTDI utility board? There is a 4-pin molex adapter on J3, is this the right one? Do I have to solder now a 4-pin connector to the GPS and a 5 or 8-pin connector afterwards again?

Thanks for any answer!
Andreas