Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Quad Tilt Rotor using Lisa/M

From: Richardson, Mark E C1C USAF USAFA CW/CS13
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Quad Tilt Rotor using Lisa/M
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 18:27:03 -0700

Reto, thanks so much for the information, I will be contacting Piotr and Wagter
and see if they can offer me any guidance on this. As far as the transition
deliverables you posted, I don’t think we will attempt to reach such high
efficiency just yet;  the innovative part of our project is that the quad tilt
rotor has the capability of being stored in an un-deployed configuration and
remotely deploying itself (if everything goes correctly, it will do this mid
air after being dropped from 4000' AGL and using a drag chute to slow it down)
However, if it all goes correctly, we will most likely see if there is anything
we can do to improve efficiency.

Chris, after looking at the pictures of the VERTI4 I think you are
underestimating 60", that’s 5 full feet which after testing our wing out, seems
closer to double the size of the one in the youtube video. Also, the wing was
manufactured to be able to handle our total 12lb weight through a 3G turn so
hopefully we can catch enough speed that the wing will no longer be just
decoration.

What are your opinions on the Pixhawk Autopilot, I just had it suggested to me
after the last post.

PS - I just got a hold of a tiny computer and put UBUNTU on  it, unfortunately
I'm not allowed to hook it up to the GOV network we use so I will have to get a
4G wifi hotspot before I can download and start to work with the Paparazzi
software  --- also put through a request for an order of the Lisa/M which will
hopefully be ordered tomorrow;  what is the shipping time usually on this and
what accessories come with it?

Again thanks so much to all of you for giving my teams project some time. I
will do my best to keep this site updated on the progress and will definitely
post questions to get more help.

Thanks!!!

Mark Richardson
USAF Academy