[Paparazzi-devel] recommended remote / radio control for SUMO-like ppz-s

From: Andreas Philipp
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] recommended remote / radio control for SUMO-like ppz-system
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 22:51:31 +0100

Dear all,

I'm completely new to PPZ and only have some (not much) experience with
conventional rc-flight using a spektrum dx6i and a graupner mx16 radio.
Now I have to buy a new radio control (among the rest) in order to build
a SUMO-like drone for meteorological measurements at university (and it
should be done quickly as always at the end of the year).

The plan is to build a SUMO-like prototype which should require as few
work and troubles as possible in order to have a working system for
learning first and then address to modifications later. The plan is to
work through the bill of material at
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/SUMO/prepare_electronics and order the
parts from different dealers. However concerning the radio control I
don't know what's the best to do.

In the SUMO description
(http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/SUMO/rc_transmitter) the Futaba T8FG and
the Futaba T7C are used, but in fact I would tend to the DX8 radio
control which allows to use the receiver satellites (some thing I do not
understand fully yet, but which seems clever to me).

However I figured out in the wiki that "Proper Spektrum support is only
provided for the STM32 based autopilots. ", however I am not sure
whether we need to have a Umarim lite for building a SUMO or if the
Umarim could be replaced easily by an APOGEE (with all the sensor
connections and so on). It is important for me first to have a more or
less trouble free system, in order to learn how everything should work.

The RC should be easy to use (i.e. 2,4 GHz) have some additional
telemetry (especially a vario beside the PPZ system if possible) and
allow a range of up to 1-2km (as usual radios do as I understand). Eight
channels are preferred (even it is now used only with a flying wing
which just needs 3 channels for throttle and 2 rudders). A three way
switch is also important for the autopilot mode it seems. Costs for the
RC including receiver should not exceed 400 euros (550 dollars).
As far as I understand any other RC than Spektrum needs ppm-support,
which the Futaba seems to have. A ppm-encoder should be avoided.

Can anyone please give advise, which RC can be recommended for this set
up (or in general for ppz-support)?

Thanks a lot!

Andreas