[Paparazzi-devel] New Telemetry Hardware - Digi 9XTend

From: Jorge Pantoja
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] New Telemetry Hardware - Digi 9XTend
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:27:54 -0500

Dear all,

I am looking for a way to extend the communications range I currently have by getting the Digi 9XTend modems shown in the wiki. However, before getting them I would like to know some things:

1) Just to make sure, the 9XTend USB Modem (http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-modems-peripherals/wireless-range-extenders-peripherals/xtend) is for the ground segment and the 9XTend OEM Modem (http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-wired-embedded-solutions/zigbee-rf-modules/point-multipoint-rfmodules/xtend-module) is for the airborne equipment?

2) I am using a YAPA2 autopilot board, how should I connect the 9XTend OEM modem to it? Can anyone help me describing a connections diagram?

3) How should I configure my airframe file to use the 9XTend modems? I am currently using Xbees and my configuration is the following:

<section name="MISC">
<define name="XBEE_INIT" value="&quot;ATPL2\rATRN5\rATTT80\r&quot;"/>
</section>

 <firmware name="fixedwing">
<subsystem name="telemetry" type="transparent">
<configure name="MODEM_BAUD" value="B57600"/>
</subsystem>
</firmware>

4) How can I achieve the range shown in the Paparazzi wiki (Up to 64km line-of-sight)? What combination of antennas should I use? I plan to use the 900 MHz band.

5) Is there any additional equipment you recommend me to purchase like antennas or cables to facilitate the integration process? or do you have any other suggestions?

Best Regards,
--
Jorge Pantoja
Program Manager/Liaison