[Paparazzi-devel] Lisa/M2 field test

From: Gerard Toonstra
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa/M2 field test
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 21:19:41 -0300

I finally have a proper location where I can do some field testing. I'm using a recent (2 weeks) master branch with
venus skytraq GPS and eagletree airspeed sensor.

A maiden flight has already been executed with a couple of surprises on handling, but all went ok.
The entire flight was on manual and I had a chance to test and see how photo's were made.

Today I attempted to make a stabilized flight to see how the aircraft handles that and to test some new camera
settings to improve overall focus. I had to abort during final response verifications:

1. At one point in time, the control surfaces locked and there was no response whatsoever. Unfortunately I did not
   look at the PFD at this point. Switching to manual worked and control surfaces responded correctly and timely in that mode.
   I repowered up and then stabilized mode was reasonable again.

2. Does the IMU initialize at the start?  I had the aircraft leaning on one wing and the PFD showed a 10 degree roll
   to that side. I repowered up with the aircraft level and this disappeared. Basically, must the aircraft be completely level
   at startup?

3. I eventually aborted the takeoff when I noticed that yawing the plane around in a plane parallel to the ground, the
   discrepancy in roll moved to the pitch, then back to roll (other side) and back to pitch. This sort of behavior *can* be produced
   if the yawing plane is not parallel to the ground, but I paid very close attention to this process. I would expect the discrepancy
   in roll to move along during the yaw motion, but this did not happen.

4. I'm also getting the famous "Invalid argument "latlong_of_utm""  error when the GPS is 3D locked (actually, after 30 seconds or so).
    The "utm_zone" should be 25, but it switches to 96 (which does not exist), even though I'm roughly at 8S, 35W.
    I think there's a serious error with units in that subsystem. Velocities and ground speeds seem to work ok, as well as vertical speeds.
   Binary command set is here: http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/GPS/Modules/AN0003_v1.4.14_FlashOnly.pdf
    (NAVIGATION DATA MESSAGE).
   I have "GPS_USE_LATLONG" defined and it does indeed come up in the make settings of the compiled binary.

5. The venus skytraq lat/lon is scaled to 1e7. Is the UBX lat/lon scaled the same way?

6. The alt also seems a bit off. I did a manual flight of around 12-20 meters altitude, but the altitude never reported anything higher
    than a meter. I'm guessing it's off by a 100.  What is the scale for UBX altitude?

Rgds,

Gerard