[Paparazzi-devel] Interest for a new survey pattern? (Zamboni-survey)

From: Jorn Anke
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Interest for a new survey pattern? (Zamboni-survey)
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 01:01:09 +0100

Hi,

I have a favourite flight-pattern which I use for aerial surveys. Two variants of the pattern can be seen here:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/t3-round-4-map-a?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A123792&page=6#comments
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/t3-round-4-map-a?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A123792&page=9#comments

The idea behind this pattern is that it provides the greatest turn-radies possible, and therefore also very smooth and easy to follow flight characteristics, (in particular when narrow flight-lines). The pattern is sometimes called a "Zamboni-pattern", named after the pattern resurfacing machines follows at ice-hockey rinks.

I have just written a small program which takes 3 points (3 corners of a rectangle) and distance between flight lines as input, and based on this calculates all waypoints, circle-centres, turn-direction, etc. for the whole pattern.

I think the most elegant way of implementing it into paparazzi would be to write a routine/subsystem, (like with the other surveying routines).

I do however not have any experience with writing routines for paparazzi, or how to communicate with the navigation routines. So, I would like to hear if others might be interested in a routine like this / would like to help porting the code into paparazzi.

The code is simple algebra, short (sub 100 lines) and very well documented.

Thanks,

Jorn