Re: [Paparazzi-devel] V4.0 Beta branch new user

From: Felix Ruess
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] V4.0 Beta branch new user
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 15:48:09 +0200

Hi Loic,

I switched today to the 4.0 beta branch.

nice, we need more beta testers ;-)

I'm using PWM controllers and
I had to reduce the control gains by 33 percents.

With wich stabilization subsystem? And you were also using pwm_supervision before?
As I wrote in the other mail, we should probably adjust the gain scales again, so that you can keep the same gains when switching stabilization algorithms.

Thank you Felix for
your recent work on PWM controller supervision.

Hopefully it all works now as expected, waiting to hear if there are still issues (I don't have a pwm quad).

One thing is not clear to me:
if I set MAX_MOTOR=2000 with PWM controllers, is there some
room left for attitude control when flying at full throttle? I used to
set MAX_MOTOR=210 with MKK controller, i suppose it was for this
reason?

The MAX_MOTOR has nothing to do with what happens at saturation, e.g. full throttle + stabilization.
The way Antoine wrote supervision and these cases are handled is that attitude stabilization
always takes precedence over vertical/thrust. So it would just reduce the thrust on other motors to keep it stable.

I think that the MKK controllers take an input of 0-200? So it should be 200 for the MKK controllers.

To keep the same behaviour, should i set
MAX_MOTOR = MIN_PWM + (MAX_PWM-MIN_PWM)*210/256 ??

You have to set MAX_MOTOR to the us value you want your PWM controllers
to receive when you command full thrust for that specific motor.
So probably something around 2000-2100, it depends on what your controller accepts.

I noticed that the range values for the control gains are still
negative in settings_booz2.xml, I suppose it should be corrected?

Thanks a lot! I missed that... fixed.

One good improvement of the V4 is that the motors are really switched
OFF when you kill them, this could be added to the release notes?

Ah, yeah.. that bug was fixed a couple of months ago in dev, but is still in master..
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/issues/102