Re: [Paparazzi-devel] What to do with my money? (Seriously :D)

From: Stephen Dwyer
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] What to do with my money? (Seriously :D)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:31:47 -0600

Hello,

I don't think it is easy to give quick and accurate advice on such a
problem. You undoubtedly have a rather specific application with a set
of specifications, and anyone else can not know how much experience
you and/or your team may have with software and hardware development.
You will probably need to do some serious research to figure out
exactly how to solve this problem. In addition, it is difficult to
know how to advise you without budget and timeline information, let
alone other specifications, such as video quality, framerate, etc etc
etc. This is probably why you have seen limited response from the
list. Sorry to sound so cynical :).

IMHO, it would be better to pursue a Lisa/M instead of Lisa/L if only
for the single reason of availability from Transition Robotics
(http://thequadshot.com/collections/autopilots). Again, it is
difficult without knowing more about your specific requirements and
whether, for example, you have the technical experience to manufacture
your own Lisa/L. As far as traditional heli control goes, I don't
believe there is much currently, though perhaps some of the developers
can better answer this question, and whether it will be difficult to
get it to work if nothing is in place.

Interaction between a higher level processing system (say a gumstix,
beagleboard, pandaboard or other single board computer) that is
handling the imagery (from say a Gumstix Caspa, USB webcam, machine
vision camera like a Point Grey Chameleon or Flea, DSLR or point and
shoot via libgphoto2 or similar) and the autopilot could be done in a
number of ways, including the existing datalink (UART), other low
level interfaces such as SPI, I2C, CAN etc, or possibly USB-serial, or
maybe done on the ground side if the response to the decisions does
not need to be particularly tight or speedy closed-loop control. In
terms of wireless streaming video, that really depends on the range
you need, whether you are fine with analog or digital, framerate,
quality, etc.

For other autopilot hardware, probably best to search around yourself
or checkout the wiki page: http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Get_Hardware

For the radio, if you care about money, you could use a ppm encoder of
some sort: http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/PPM_Encoder. If you don't
care about the money and have a lisa, you could go buy a spektrum
system and use one or two satellites:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Lisa/M#Examples_of_Airborne_Equipment_Electrical_Connections
(not yet updated on the Lisa/M_v20 page, hopefully soon)

Hopefully that helps a bit...

Thanks,
-Stephen Dwyer