[Paparazzi-devel] Quadcopter yaws with roll input

From: Loic Drumettaz
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Quadcopter yaws with roll input
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:51:38 +0100

Hello,

Do you use the subsystem for aspirin v1.5?
  <subsystem name="imu"           type="aspirin_v1.5"/>
I would recommend that you check the attitude angles phi and psi when
moving your quadcopter around the roll axis (phi), and see if the yaw
(psi) is moving.
If that's the case, you can check the sensors orientation in "finding
signs" section in http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/ImuCalibration.

Have you also checked that the center of gravity is located at the
center of your quadcopter?  Maybe a wrong CG would give coupling
between the axis?

Regards

Loïc

Hi,

Bad weather has prevented me experimenting further so I am hoping
someone can point me in the right direction in the meantime.

I have just got a quadcopter flying in AP_MODE_ATTITUDE_DIRECT
reasonable well and noticed that as I give it a roll command it will
also yaw in the same direction it is rolling towards (i.e.: if I roll
left will yaw left).

I am using a Lisa/M with Aspirin V1.5. I have not calibrated the board
while it is in the quad yet, so just using the calibration files sent
with the Aspirin. I don't have any mixing set on the radio nor in the
airframe config. Let me know if you want to see the config (I assuming
it is just something trivial I have overlooked).

Thanks

Simon