Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Umarim testing

From: David Conger
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Umarim testing
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:51:19 -0800

Hello,

I will try...after I replace some parts.

I did a "burn in" test leaving the Umarim powered with 13.18v. Configuration: GPS connected with gnd, 3.3v, Tx,Rx to UART0. Serial wire to UART1. When I came back approx 2hrs later I smelled burning smell and see the Umarim was drawing .60A and no LED blinking. Nothing GCS seemed to have stopped. The whole Umarim was very hot to the touch.

I look at it under the microscope and see IC4 has a broken solder joint on the pin 13 (PG: Power good comparator output. This is an open-drain output. A pullup resistor should be connected between PG and VOUT. The output goes active high when the output voltage is greater than 98.4% of the nominal value.).

I'm not sure if the crack was there before or due to thermal expansion/contraction when the board heated.

I will replace this part and re-test now. I will test your suggestions and see if I can program normal program code over UART0. I'm a little unclear how to specifically do some of those tests.

-David