Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Incorrect Proportional Pitch Deflection, Correct D

From: Felix Ruess
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Incorrect Proportional Pitch Deflection, Correct Derivative Pitch Deflection
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:46:17 +0100

Hi Chris,

the attitude estimation algorithm itself (ahrs int_cmpl_quat uses quaternions for representing rotations internally) has no problems with gimbal lock.

But we also always calculate the "other" attitude representations (in that case from the quaternion). So we always have the attitude as quaternion, euler angles and rotation matrix representations. E.g. to display the attitude in euler angles, (displaying quaternion values is not very intuitive;-) and to be able to use other parts that don't take quaternions as input yet.

This is why you can use the normal fixed wing stabilization/guidance which only takes euler angles as input.
So it's not a "quaternion method taking Euler angles as input", it's just that for fixed wings there is no control written using the quaternions representation directly.
That is what I was trying to say in the previous mail.

If you start to convert the attitude representation from a quaternion to euler angles, you will get discontinuities at +-180deg (+-90deg for pitch), that is just a property of euler angles representations and nothing you can do about it.
The only "real" solution to properly avoid this problem is to not use euler angles (except for things like displaying it for the user) and write the control using quaternions as well.

Cheers, Felix