Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Incorrect Proportional Pitch Deflection, Correct D

From: Chris Wozny
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Incorrect Proportional Pitch Deflection, Correct Derivative Pitch Deflection
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 02:55:04 -0700

All,

After tirelessly analyzing the data from some "flights" today, I've
determined that some (if not all) of the issue I'm having is coming
from gimbal lock. At such a high angle of attack, I'm seeing phi and
psi values rolling over from positive 180 to -180 degrees and vice
versa very rapidly. My understanding was that complementary
quaternions "solved" the gimbal lock problem. From the commit logs, it
looks like Felix and Christophe both put a lot of work into this and
wanted to see if either of you saw gimbal locks at all? I know Felix
mentioned that any quaternion method taking Euler angles as input can
run into these singularities, but I just wanted to double check since
the almighty wikipedia says the quaternions are an alternate to Euler
angle solutions and are not intertwined. At this point, I have a
feeling that the only solution to this problem would be to mount the
Lisa board (with IMU on it) in a perpendicular fashion to the
fixed-wing VTOL aircrafts' chord line.

Best,
Chris