Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket

From: Jerry Van Baren
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:59:20 -0500

On 02/15/2012 07:50 AM, Chris Gough wrote:
I find it interesting how they came to the their assessment... I've been
looking at the dual use goods and export controls for 10+ years and am
intrigued that the open source being exempt wasn't taken into account.

I bet you have - I didn't check the list for military-surplus rocket
motors, but they are probably on page 1 :)

Imagine a politician, who doesn't understand anything except their
"soldiers 5" (short list of bullet points and five minute briefing),
walking into a hostile TV interview and trying to split that hair. I'm
sure there are plenty of equivalent closed-door diplomatic scenarios.
Software maybe, but hardware? There would have to be assault rifle
blueprints in the public domain, anyone game to test the
"public-domain hardware exception" theory with a create of them?

<http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/20/is-printing-a-gun-the-same-as-buying-a-gun/>

"The [AR-15] Lower Receiver is the frame that holds together all the other pieces of the firearm. In the States, all the other pieces can be purchased without a permit – over the counter or through the post. The Lower Receiver is the only part which requires a background check or any other kind of paperwork before purchase."

gvb

[snip]