Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket

From: Bernard Davison
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:38:05 +1100

Yep standard civilian GPSs have been flown. They lose position of course at
launch but do acquire solution after the main parachute opens.

Also the MEMS accelerometers have been flown and data logged.

The major problem we've always faced is knowing what went wrong when things
don't work and the thing is buried 5m underground and the rocket has turned
itself into metal confetti.
We've worked out what we believe  Will be a survivable data storage module.
Hopefully to be tested in the next year or so.

At the moment were breaking the Lisa/L board up into smaller components and
designing them to be rugged. I.e. positive locking connectors isolation on some
switches and comms. Etc.
We're also breaking the board into discrete task based "nodes" that can
communicate via redundant CAN bus connectors. So in the future it would be
possible to have a failure tolerant system. I.e. if you have a failure of a
transceiver node, IMU node, flight computer node, CAN bus. Then it could use
another node on the network.
Of course that would need the appropriate software to be written for that kind
of control.

Cheers,
Bernie.

Sent from my iPad mini.