Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ArduIMU

From: Hector Garcia de Marina
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ArduIMU
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:14:59 +0200

About the vibration tolerance, it strongly depends on your sample frequency. I would check this out before purchasing more expensive sensors.

I see in many UAVs projects that the sample frequency is still lower than two times the maximum propeller rpm (main fuselage vibration source), thus
most of the spectrum power from high frequencies is aliased and moved to low frequencies, distorting for example the gravity in case of accelerometers.

A typical 1000kV motor with 3S LiPo can achieve 6000rpm (1Hz is 60rpm) at half-throttle signal, that means you need to sample @ 200Hz minimum if you don't want an aliased signal.
The same happens when the telemetry is stored at the ground station with a low frequency data-packet.

It is funny seeing a ~1Hz signal (very common, just check it out) in Y-Axis accelerometer when the fuselage is in resonance with the motor and the sampling frequency is "low".

Héctor
Cheers