[Paparazzi-devel] Improved user documentation

From: Thomas Wuensche
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Improved user documentation
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:02:57 +0100

Felix Ruess wrote:
> Hi Thomas,

>     It's a great project, but user documentation seems the
>     weak point to me.
>

> I totally agree with you there :-|
> Do you have any suggestions on how to best document the configuration
> options and parameters? The basic configuration of the airframe file is
> described on the wiki (ok, only really for fixedwings right now).
> Something like that just for rotorcraft? Any better ideas for right now?
>
> We should also start documenting the code better and generating actually
> usable doxygen api docs... best would be to have some automatically
> generated and either directly integrated in the wiki (I remember there
> was a kind of experimental plugin for this) or set up an extra page for
> this on the paparazzi server.
>
> Any volunteers to start this?

I would be willing to help with that. Much of it I will face anyhow
while I try to understand the system. No idea however how to integrate
with the wiki. And of course what I write would need a review by some-
body more experienced than me.

Question is whether doxygen documentation will be intuitive enough.
No question for the details (function prototypes ...), but what about
the system understanding. Or should we combine doxygen documentation
with a logically structured top level documentation on the wiki?

One more thing to improve is the linking on the wiki. Many times I
get to a wiki page by searching a special topic by inside (wiki search)
or outside search, but could not find it (easily) through the wiki menue
hierarchy.

One proposal might be to put some of the menue structure from the main
page to the side navigation bar of the wiki.

Regards, Thomas
--
EMS Dr. Thomas Wuensche e.K.
Sonnenhang 3